We are seeking new School Community Council (SCC)* Members to provide local governance support for our schools and Headteachers. Our SCC’s play a valuable role in supporting our schools and in keeping each one effectively connected to its wider community. School Community Councils are made up from a mixture of staff, parents and members of the local community. Members of each SCC actively support the work of both the Trust and the school in delivering a high quality education for our children. This governance role involves working with the school’s leadership team to keep the work of the school under constant review by acting as a critical friend.
The schools which currently have School Community Council vacancies are:
- Medmerry Primary School, Selsey
- Downsbrook Primary School, Worthing
- Edward Bryant School, Bognor Regis
- River Beach Primary School, Littlehampton
Usually each SCC meets once or twice a term to discuss the school’s progress, focus, ethos and direction. In order to fulfil its function effectively, the work of the SCC is divided across six portfolios, with every SCC member being involved in at least one portfolio:
- Teaching, Learning and Performance Portfolio (to raise standards of teaching and learning)
- Safeguarding and Child Protection Portfolio (to ensure pupil happiness, welfare and safety)
- Finance and Audit Portfolio (the efficient, appropriate and compliant use of local finances)
- Health & Safety and Premises Portfolio (to ensure school premises are safe and secure and a positive learning environment)
- Senior Leadership Team Liaison and School Support Portfolio (to support the academy school’s management team)
- Community Engagement and Fundraising Portfolio (to ensure effective engagement within the school community)
Training and induction is provided. The role is very rewarding and offers an excellent opportunity to volunteer, get involved in helping local children and play an active part in the community.
The application process would involve the completion of an application form and a meeting with the Chair of the School Community Council and a representative of the Trust which looks after the school. A DBS check is also required once appointed.
If you would like to find out more please contact Louise Pope in the first instance on 01903 739988 or email email@example.com.
*Schoolsworks School Community Councils replaced Local Governing Bodies in 2016